Saturday 29 October 2011

FLIP Animation Festival!

So! I got back from FLIP this evening, an animation festival that was held in the lighthouse in Wolverhampton - http://www.flipfestival.co.uk/ and I must say I've had a wonderful time there.

It cost £11 for a weekend pass (special student discount, ofcourse) and I attended on the Friday and Saturday, getting to experience alot of discussions and seminars from Aardman, Cosgrove Hall, and Bill Plympton, as well as getting an opportunity for networking, autographs, and drinks afterwards.

My favourite part of FLIP was getting a chance to chat with the animation legends, Brian Cosgrove and Mike Hall, who created alot of brilliant animation that structured alot of my childhood, from things like Dangermouse, Count Duckula, Wind in the Willows, Noddy, Chorlton and the Wheelies etc to more recent animations, such as The Fox Busters and the short series of Doctor Who animations. It was a real pleasure to hear them talk about the fun they had working together, the process of their animation technique, and afterwards we got a photo opportunity with them, autographs, and some inspirational talks about being an aspiring animation alot like they were over 40 years ago!



I also got to meet an inspiring voice actor called Marc Silk, who I recognised from certain cartoons from my childhood, such as Prosper the Shaman from CBBC cartoon, Pitt and Kantrop (when I told him it surprised him somebody remembered it!) But I didn't realise he also voiced a cartoon favourite of mine, Johnny Bravo! He was charming to talk too, and amazingly tallented with his voices, I had no idea he was from Birmingham either!


Afterwards, we had a chance to chat with some artists from Aardman, who then held a claymation workshop, showing attendees how to create their own gromit from a few chunks of modelling clay, here is my attempt at him:

Spooky eh? Think I'll just take my job as head of Aardman right now!.....heh!

All in all, it was fully worth the £11 I paid to attend, however I would have gladly paid the £23 full price for the weekend pass, especially with such tallented people attending. The theater was comfortable, and the special guests were charming and pleasant, althought I would have graduated next year, I'll definitely be attending again!

Also, when I got home today, I found THIS little item in the local newspaper, the Express and Star:

Seems we're famous right now! I was one of the 24 people who pitched my CITV idea to Dave Hickman and Sam Hope, and I'm currently working on the final ident to present to them in December, so wish me luck! Hopefully I can snag a place and finally get some work on TV.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment